Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Reflections on Teaching Day 3 - Kiara Rollerson

I cannot believe it is already day 3 for teaching at Red Bank. I am working with infant II students that are 6 and 7 year olds in the second grade. I have learned so much from my students and I am beginning to form bonds with each of them. I love being called “Miss Miss” while I’m there and working with my class so far. Today, I introduced place value to my students and we had so much fun constructing our own numbers! I know we still have some work to do, but I am confident in my students. The children love to learn and are happy to have us in their school. During our breaks, I spend time playing outdoor games such as Ringa Ringa Rosa (Ring around the Rosie) and catcher (tag). I admire the students’ ability to stay so energized during these very hot days and including me in everything they do.

Today, I also had the opportunity to visit the village of San Pablo after lunch. It was a long bumpy road to get there, but the journey was well worth it. There, I met new students and went to see some of the homes in the village. San Pablo is a bit different from Red Bank as there are only 5 or 6 classrooms. It is much smaller, but the love from the students was very much the same.  I was able to help a group of students come up with a short play describing the languages of their village. Some of the students speak 3 or 4 languages! I also stepped out of my comfort zone and hiked to a river where I was able to see a beautiful waterfall.

I truly enjoyed my day today and I love Belize more and more as time passes. I look forward to teaching my students every morning and want to give them the best I have for the upcoming days. These children deserve it and I know I will take so much with me when I leave. With just 3 days in, I can say that I have learned so much and this is one of the best experiences of my life!
 
Kiara Rollerson
 

No comments:

Post a Comment