Thursday, April 30, 2015

Reflection from Micaela Wang - San Pablo Day 4


Today was a very adventurous day for the San Pablo crew!  Stepping out of my comfort zone, we met our San Pablo mentor teachers at Red Bank and waded across the river.  We decided to get the full experience of the teacher’s daily schedule this was a great way.  The water came up about mid-thigh so we wore t-shirts and track shorts then changed into our uniform once crossed.  We arrived a bit earlier than usual so I saw many of my students finishing their morning chores.  I helped one of my students carry the washed dishes from the river to his hut.  It was much cooler today with a high of 82 degrees. 
 
I was excited to work with my eighth-graders because it was the last day for me to prepare them for their test to enter High School.  We have been doing extreme Math Workshops all week in preparation.  Dr. Karp, Mr. Sho, and myself co-taught the reason of the Pythagorean Theorem.  We couldn’t stop finding the patterns between the numbers to find the Pythagorean Triplets (excuse my math language).  Once the students understood why it worked and memorized the triplets, I was happy to know that the students would fly through that problem on their test.  The experiences I have had here are too hard to put into words.  My students are taking their test on Monday so if you could, say a prayer for them because they are the most hardworking, deserving kids I know. 

Micaela Wang

No comments:

Post a Comment